This week in English we have been looking at Antarctica. We have watched a video about the climate and the weather. We went on to write a list of our observations. In Maths we have been looking at the properties of 2D shapes we used a feely bag to give clues to the other children to guess our shape. In craft we have started to make our own penguins.
Please note that only healthy snacks can be brought in for break time.
Autumn 1 Overview – Reception and Pre-School
Welcome back from the Summer Break!!!!
- PE will take place on Wednesday. All PE kits will be placed in children’s bags on Friday for washing over the weekend. Please ensure all items of clothing are clearly marked with your child’s name.
- Reception children must wear an apron for dinner. All aprons will be sent home on a Friday for washing.
- Show and Tell will take place on Wednesday afternoon.
- Merit and Achievement assembly takes place each Friday at 8:45 am. Children are welcome to bring certificates, badges, trophies etc to share with the school. Parents are welcome to stay for this assembly.
- The children will read twice a week. Reception reading days are Tuesday and Friday so please make sure their folders are in school on these days. There will also be high frequency word flashcards for the children to practise and these will be changed each Friday.
- The children will need 2 healthy snacks per day for break time, please refrain from giving yoghurt as this tends to get a little messy. Toast and fruit may be purchased at break time.
- Please can all children have appropriate outdoor wear for playtime. As the weather changes they will need to wear a hat, gloves and scarf.
- Children are provided with milk or water after break times. If you wish your child to bring in a drink bottle please can we kindly ask that it is just filled with water.
- Homework will be taken home on Fridays to be brought back the following Thursday.
The work we will be covering this half term, can be found displayed in the classroom. If you have any questions/queries please do not hesitate to drop in and speak to me.
Many Thanks – Mrs Rafferty
Early Years Curriculum Autumn 2
Compare two heights using direct comparison; use language of taller and shorter.
Use uniform non-standard units to measure items up to 10 units high.
Put three heights in order.
Compare two numbers/quantities, use the language of ‘more’ and ‘less’.
We will be learning about 2D shapes and their properties. Number formation, sequencing and counting will be practised daily.
We will be learning about light and dark: Describing how we feel in response to darkness or light, e.g. fireworks or candlelight.
Reading: Reading descriptive words to do with firework night/Diwali.
Writing: Writing descriptive words and phrases.
We will also be looking at Winter. The children will talk about their own experiences of winter traditions
Reading: Beginning to read words using initial sounds.
Writing: Writing a simple message in a greetings card.
Understanding the world
The children will be looking at the different climates around the world and comparing them to our own. We will be discussing different animals and their habitats.
Expressive Art and Design
All craft will be topic based and the children will have the opportunity to handle a variety of materials.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The children will be discussing being friends, taking turns, good behavior, relationships and cooperation. They will learn the importance self-hygiene and being able to care for themselves.
During PE children will learn how to develop spatial awareness and safety around the PE equipment. They will develop their skills for running, jumping, catching and throwing.They will be learning to navigate their way around the large apparatus.
Communication and Language
Children will be learning to retell a simple past event in the correct order.Use talk to connect ideas and explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next. Use a range of tenses and use intonation, rhythm and phrasing to make the meaning clear to others.