This week in In English we have started our new unit ‘People Who Help Us’. We have talked about various occupations and how they help people. We have been writing lists of the tools that they would need to carry out their jobs. Pre-School have drawn a picture of their favourite occupation and verbally told a sentence.
In Maths we have started our new unit on ‘Money’. We have looked at the coins and discussed the value of each one. We have gone onto adding pennies in simple sums. Pre-School have continued with their consolidation of counting, sorting and ordering numbers one to ten.
In craft we are looking at ‘Chinese New Year’. We have made dragon masks and lucky money wallets and will be making Chinese lanterns next week.
Please note that only healthy snacks can be brought in for break time.
Reception and Pre-School
- PE will take place on Wednesday. All PE kits will be placed in children’s bags on Friday for washing over the weekend. Please ensure all items of clothing are clearly marked with your child’s name.
- Reception children must wear an apron for dinner. All aprons will be sent home on a Friday for washing.
- Show and Tell will take place on Wednesday afternoon.
- Merit and Achievement assembly takes place each Friday at 8:45 am. Children are welcome to bring certificates, badges, trophies etc to share with the school. Parents are welcome to stay for this assembly.
- The children will read twice a week. Reception reading days are Tuesday and Friday so please make sure their folders are in school on these days. There will also be high frequency word flashcards for the children to practise and these will be changed each Friday.
- The children will need 2 healthy snacks per day for break time, please refrain from giving yoghurt as this tends to get a little messy. Toast and fruit may be purchased at break time.
- Please can all children have appropriate outdoor wear for playtime. As the weather changes they will need to wear a hat, gloves and scarf.
- Children are provided with milk or water after break times. If you wish your child to bring in a drink bottle please can we kindly ask that it is just filled with water.
- Homework will be taken home on Fridays to be brought back the following Thursday.
The work we will be covering this half term, can be found displayed in the classroom. If you have any questions/queries please do not hesitate to drop in and speak to me.
Many Thanks – Mrs Rafferty
Early Years Curriculum Spring 1
Maths: In Maths we will be starting our new unit ‘Money’. We will be looking at the value of the coins and going on to make simple addition facts. We will start to learn to check and give change. Counting, sorting and Ordering will continue being practiced daily.
Literacy: In Literacy we are looking at ‘People Who Help Us’. We will be looking at and comparing various occupations and how they help us in the community. We will also look at the equipment each one uses.
Daily letter formation and writing practise will continue.
Understanding the world
The children will be looking at Chinese New Year and various other festivals this half term.
Expressive Art and Design
All craft will be topic based and the children will have the opportunity to handle a variety of materials.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The children will be discussing being friends, taking turns, good behaviour, relationships and cooperation. They will learn the importance self-hygiene and being able to care for themselves.
During PE children will learn how to develop spatial awareness and safety around the PE equipment. They will develop their skills for running, jumping, catching and throwing. They will be learning to navigate their way around the large apparatus.
Communication and Language
Children will be learning to retell a simple story in the correct order. Use talk to connect ideas and explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next. Use a range of tenses and use intonation, rhythm and phrasing to make the meaning clear to others.