What a busy week in Early years! This week was mindfulness week and we were introduced to yoga! The children loved using their concentration and balance skills to try out the different poses! We have also been celebrating Chinese New Year in class. The children have explored how Chinese New Year is celebrated through writing, story telling and messy play!
Safer internet week – 10th – 14th Feb
Early Years Curriculum Spring 1.
Maths – Number and Place value. This term we will be looking at counting to and from 50. The children will practice counting forwards and backwards using various materials such as number lines and 100 squares as well as practicing writing numbers to 50. We will also cover simple addition and subtraction this term.
Literacy – Simple sentences. This term we will be looking at basic sentence structure. The children will engage in lots of different strategies such as chopping, clapping and stretching to help aid understanding of sentence structure and simple punctuation. Letter sounds and formation will be practiced throughout the term.
texts we will cover include:
- Calm down Borris
Phonics – This term Reception children will be moving on to Phase 3 phonics were we explore much more complex sounds and tricky words. Pre school children will begin phase 2 this term; looking at the single letter phonemes and exploring different sounds.
Receptions sound of the week – th
Pre school sound of the week – s
Topic – Superheros
Understanding the world
Throughout our topic we will be discussing the real life superhero’s within our society and how we can help others.
Expressive Art and Design
All craft will be topic based and the children will have the opportunity to handle a variety of materials.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The children will be looking at feelings this term. We will be focusing on emotions and how to manage them.
During PE this term we will be focusing on simple ball skills. The children will develop their balancing skills such as throwing, catching and kicking a ball.
Communication and Language
Children will be learning to retell a simple story in the correct order. Use talk to connect ideas and explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next. Use a range of tenses and use intonation, rhythm and phrasing to make the meaning clear to others.
- PE will take place on Friday mornings. Please bring PE kits in on Monday to insure a change of clothing is available for your child should any accidents occur. All PE kits will be taken home on Friday for washing over the weekend. Please ensure all items of clothing are clearly marked with your child’s name as to avoid any confusion during changing.
- Reception children must wear an apron for dinner. All aprons will be sent home on a Friday for washing.
- Show and Tell will take place on Friday afternoon.
- Merit and Achievement assembly takes place each Friday at 8:45 am. Children are welcome to bring certificates, badges, trophies etc to share with the school. Parents are welcome to stay for this assembly.
- The children will read once a week with a member of staff. Reception reading days are Monday’s and Tuesday’s, your child’s reading day will be displayed on their folder – Please make sure that their folders are in school on these days. It is important that your child reads as much as possible, children who have read more than three times at home will be placed on the star readers display.
- The children will need 2 healthy snacks per day for break time, please refrain from giving yoghurt as this tends to get a little messy. Toast and fruit may be purchased at break time.
- Please can all children have appropriate outdoor wear for playtime. As the weather changes they will need to wear a hat, gloves and scarf.
- Children are provided with milk or water after break times. If you wish your child to bring in a drink bottle please can we kindly ask that it is just filled with water.
- Homework for Reception will be given in the form of a learning log. Within the learning log will be a set of challenges relating to our termly topics. Children will have between 2-4 weeks to complete as many challenges as they can. Learning logs will be marked and sent back home every Friday.
- Registration will begin at 8.40. Please can we ask all parents to ensure they have said their goodbyes and vacated the room by this time as not to cause any distraction during registration, thank you.
The work we will be covering this half term, can be found displayed in the classroom. If you have any questions/queries please do not hesitate to drop in and speak to me.
Many Thanks – Miss Santana, Mrs Tagg and Miss Millington.