Term – Summer 2
We are officially 1 week into or second summer term and time is flying! This term is very important for reception as they are preparing to move up to year one! We are beginning to practice for our summer production ‘Croak’ in July and the children are enjoying learning and singing lots of new songs.
This week maths reception will be focusing on number bonds to 10. The children did so incredibly well last week identifying number bonds to 5 and are looking forward to more number bond related activities. We will be using multiple manipulatives to make learning visual and fun as we explore how many different ways we can make 10. The children will be working as a group, in pairs and individually to find, make and write as many addition sentences as they with the total of 10. Pre school this week will be looking at one more and one less than numbers up to 15. They will be using visual and manipulative resources to aid their understanding.
In literacy this week we are continuing to focus on rhyme. Reception will be focusing their work on the book ‘Brown bear brown bear, what do you see?’ to re create and write their own poem. Pre school will be continuing to focus on identifying and writing initial sounds. As an extension pre-schoolers will begin to develop their reading and writing skills of CVC words.
- PE will take place on Tuesday. All PE kits will be placed in children’s bags on Friday for washing over the weekend. Please ensure all items of clothing are clearly marked with your child’s name.
- Reception children must wear an apron for dinner. All aprons will be sent home on a Friday for washing.
- Show and Tell will take place on Friday afternoon.
- Merit and Achievement assembly takes place each Friday at 8:45 am. Children are welcome to bring certificates, badges, trophies etc to share with the school. Parents are welcome to stay for this assembly.
- The children will read twice a week. Reception reading days are Tuesday and Fridays, please make sure that their folders are in school on these days. It is important that your child reads as much as possible, children who have read more than three times at home will be placed on the star readers display.
- The children will need 2 healthy snacks per day for break time, please refrain from giving yoghurt as this tends to get a little messy. Toast and fruit may be purchased at break time.
- Please can all children have appropriate outdoor wear for playtime. As the weather changes they will need to wear a hat, gloves and scarf.
- Children are provided with milk or water after break times. If you wish your child to bring in a drink bottle please can we kindly ask that it is just filled with water.
- Homework for Reception will be given in the form of a learning log. Within the learning log will be a set of challenges relating to our termly topics. Children will have between 2-4 weeks to complete as many challenges as they can. Learning logs will be marked and sent back home every Friday.
The work we will be covering this half term, can be found displayed in the classroom. If you have any questions/queries please do not hesitate to drop in and speak to me.
Many Thanks – Miss Santana
Early Years Curriculum Summer 2.
Maths: This term will is all about NUMBERS! Reception children will be recapping over previous number knowledge as well as learning number bonds to 10, Odd and Even numbers and counting in 2’s 5’s and 10s. We will be participating in lots of class discussion, problem solving and fun learning as we expand our number knowledge. Pre school will be focusing on numbers to counting, ordering and writing numbers to 20 as they prepare for Reception next year. We will be working to ensure these skills are embedded to ensure the children confident with their number knowledge.
Literacy: For the first two weeks this term we will be focusing on poetry, recapping the children knowledge on rhyme and ensuring children can recognise and continue a rhyming string. Will also look at acrostic poems and the children will be making their own to take home. For the remainder of term Reception will be focusing on sentence writing ensuring that their ability to think of and write sentences independently is sound before moving up to year one- we will be reading lots of fantastic texts as we do this. Pre School will be focused on strengthening their phonetic knowledge of Phase 2 sounds, looking at segmenting and blending as well as starting to form lower and upper case letters.
Topic – Our topic is term is Summer. We will be exploring all that this fabulous season has to offer including; the changes in the weather, how to say safe in the sun and on the beach, summer fruits and foods, shadows and much more. The children will be engaged in many creative activities during this topic giving them the opportunity to strengthen their development in areas such as expressive art and design and also understanding of the world. Topic work will be put on display in the classroom, please feel free to come in and take a look at the amazing work produced by our lovely class as we update the board.
PSHE – During our PSHE sessions this term we will looking at British Values. The children will be engaging in lots of different activities whereby we will explore British values and what they mean to us. We will cover topics such as democracy and law and how we incorporate this into our everyday school routine. We will discuss the importance of being kind to one and other and how we can do our bit the help make the world a happy and safe place to live.
Understanding the world
The children will be looking at the season of summer and how to keep safe during the hot weather. We will also be conducting lots of different science experiments as we explore themes such as sink or float? and shadows.
Expressive Art and Design
All craft will be topic based and the children will have the opportunity to handle a variety of materials. Rainbow challenges will continue to change throughout the term.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The children will be looking at British values and what it means to be a British citizen.
During PE children will learn how to develop spatial awareness and safety around the PE equipment. They will develop their skills for running, jumping, catching and throwing. They will be learning to navigate their way around the large apparatus.
Communication and Language
Children will be learning to retell a simple story in the correct order. Use talk to connect ideas and explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next. Use a range of tenses and use intonation, rhythm and phrasing to make the meaning clear to others.