We would like to say a huge well done to our little friends in Early Years for their amazing performance in their Spanish assembly – they really did blow us away! Thank you again to the parents who could stay to support the children, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. This week we have been busy halving numbers and focusing on reading and comprehension. They have been looking at sharing a number equally by halving using different methods and sharing their ideas with the class. The children have really shown great progression with their reading and we are very proud of them.
Mothers day assembly 20th March
Talent show 27th March
A few friendly reminders
Toys – Please refrain from allowing children to bring toys into school. The children are allowed to bring in one toy for golden time/show and tell on a Friday. We ask that you please respect this classroom rule.
Uniform – As the bad weather continues it is important that every child has the correct outdoor clothing to keep them warm. Could we please remind parents that there is a set uniform for school and this requires a grey duffle coat, a red Farrowdale hat and red or grey gloves. If you are unsure as to where to purchase these items, please consult the school office.
Early Years Curriculum Spring 1.
Maths – To begin the term we will be recapping addition – using the Numicon to explore different ways to make 10. We will then move on to doubling and halving before ending the term on Shape, Space and Measure were we will cover money and time.
Literacy – Sentence writing. This term we will be looking at using the and to extend our sentences. We will also be covering acrostic poems towards the end of term. There will be lots of opportunities for independent writing and mark making in class. Letter sounds and formation will be practiced throughout the term.
texts we have covered this term:
- Mr Wolfs Pancakes
Phonics – This term Reception children will be moving on to Phase 3 phonics were we explore much more complex sounds and tricky words. Pre school children will begin phase 2 this term; looking at the single letter phonemes and exploring different sounds.
Receptions sound of the week – oo
Pre school sound of the week – m
Topic – Spring has sprung
Understanding the world
Throughout our topic we will be discussing the changes that occur during the season of Spring. We will explore new life as we learn about the life cycle of a butterfly and plant our own sunflowers.
Expressive Art and Design
All craft will be topic based and the children will have the opportunity to handle a variety of materials.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
The children will be looking at keeping healthy this term. We will be focusing on how to keep our bodies healthy through a good diet and exercise.
During PE this term we will be focusing on football skills. The children will be practicing and developing their skills with the Oldham Athletics.
Communication and Language
Children will be learning to retell a simple story in the correct order. Use talk to connect ideas and explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next. Use a range of tenses and use intonation, rhythm and phrasing to make the meaning clear to others.
- PE will take place on Friday mornings. Please bring PE kits in on Monday to insure a change of clothing is available for your child should any accidents occur. All PE kits will be taken home on Friday for washing over the weekend. Please ensure all items of clothing are clearly marked with your child’s name as to avoid any confusion during changing.
- Reception children must wear an apron for dinner. All aprons will be sent home on a Friday for washing.
- Show and Tell will take place on Friday afternoon.
- Merit and Achievement assembly takes place each Friday at 8:45 am. Children are welcome to bring certificates, badges, trophies etc to share with the school. Parents are welcome to stay for this assembly.
- The children will read once a week with a member of staff. Reception reading days are Monday’s and Tuesday’s, your child’s reading day will be displayed on their folder – Please make sure that their folders are in school on these days. It is important that your child reads as much as possible, children who have read more than three times at home will be placed on the star readers display.
- The children will need 2 healthy snacks per day for break time, please refrain from giving yoghurt as this tends to get a little messy. Toast and fruit may be purchased at break time.
- Please can all children have appropriate outdoor wear for playtime. As the weather changes they will need to wear a hat, gloves and scarf.
- Children are provided with milk or water after break times. If you wish your child to bring in a drink bottle please can we kindly ask that it is just filled with water.
- Homework for Reception will be given in the form of a learning log. Within the learning log will be a set of challenges relating to our termly topics. Children will have between 2-4 weeks to complete as many challenges as they can. Learning logs will be marked and sent back home every Friday.
- Registration will begin at 8.40. Please can we ask all parents to ensure they have said their goodbyes and vacated the room by this time as not to cause any distraction during registration, thank you.
The work we will be covering this half term, can be found displayed in the classroom. If you have any questions/queries please do not hesitate to drop in and speak to me.
Many Thanks – Miss Santana and Mrs Tagg.